Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Please send in your time sheet by Friday


This is the first time I've worked for a company that has clients, meaning this is the first time I have to bill my time on a daily basis.

It's a completely different way of thinking about time, and assessing my day. It requires a new kind of consciousness to the way I think about working. I'm not just doing my work for the sake of doing a good job, which is always how I've thought about it in the past. I'm actually taking 10 minutes here, an hour or so there and dedicating it completely to someone else's whims.

You can make the argument that in any job you bill your time to the company that you work for, but when you don't have clients, you're not cognizant that every bathroom break, every Facebook hiatus, every second you spend munching on that candy bar you hide in your desk instead of working is billed to someone.

What if we could extend this work model to the rest of our lives? That question got me thinking about how I spend my spare time, and how much of it is motivated by outside forces, and occasionally, people. I came up with a list of 13 things I do on a weekly basis, and who or what I do them for.

1. Three hours of working out to beauty magazines.

2. About one cumulative hour of sneezing to my guinea pigs. I can't live without them, but I'm deathly allergic to them.

3. Two hours of cleaning the kitchen to my boyfriend and his growing interest in the culinary arts.

4. An hour and a half of changing outfits in the morning to my mother. Her voice will forever echo in my head telling me I can't wear gray, that's not flattering, that doesn't match, etc.

5. Two hours and forty-five minutes of cleaning the apartment to my guinea pigs. Their daily average mess probably doubles their body weight.

6. Four hours of feeling guilty about doing nothing after work to Judaism.

7. Seven hours of still not doing anything despite the guilt to Facebook and the age 23.

8. Three hours of late night snacking to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

9. Five hours of nagging my boyfriend to my mother and chick flicks.

10. Five hours of him taking it to his mother, who instilled Jewish family values in him at a young age.

11. Three hours of wondering if I should wax my eyebrows to my mother.

12. Two hours of realizing I don't actually care to my father.

13. Thirty minutes of throwing up a little in my mouth when the commercials for "Sex in the City 2" come on to realizing working one hour a week and being able to afford fancy dinners, cocktail parties and designer clothes was never intended to be real.


2 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss you! I'm with your dad on number 12- it's one of the reasons I love you!

    ReplyDelete