Sunday, January 31, 2010

Good for the Jews


I just ordered "Good for the Jews" by Debra Spark. It's a modernized version of the story of Esther based in Madison, Wisconsin. It was published by the University of Michigan press and the author lives in Maine.

Spark lived in Madison for two years in the 80s as one of the first two fellows in the UW-Madison Creative Writing Institute.

An article in the Wisconsin State Journal explains that Spark tries to draw parallels to the modern day Middle East.

"Spark wanted to ruminate on how the United States seemed to be going after a false enemy in Iraq, and also how Jews are often perceived as much as victims as they are aggressors in Palestine. The idea of the good and the bad guys being hidden from view, living among the rest of society, intrigued her."

I don't know if this means she's taken one side or the other of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, or if she's standing as a passive observer.

The article also commends her realistic portrayal of Madison's "at-times oppresively liberal, politically-correct culture."

I consider myself to be liberal in most situations, but it continues to baffle me that being "pro-Palestinian" is supposedly liberal, and siding with Israel is considered right wing. I wrote this on the topic for my friend Harry's blog last year.

I can't find anything to confirm or deny that Spark herself is Jewish (granted I haven't looked that hard yet).

I'm not sure what exactly to expect. I do know there's a half-naked girl on the cover. I'll post more once I start reading.

Photo: Megillah (Scroll of Esther) in Israel Museum in Jerusalem

No comments:

Post a Comment